Baked Potato Salad
“You had me at bacon!”Baked Potato salad happens to be one of my, and more importantly my husband’s, favorite summer side dishes. Perfect to pair with anything, especially your red meats such as burgers, steaks and definitely beef brisket. It is also a great “dish to pass’ for any of your summer get-togethers.Once you have the potatoes and bacon cooked off, this dish goes together fairly easily. I made a note to clean your potatoes well, you want to get any grit off them. The reason for this is that you do leave the skin on the potatoes when making this particular picnic salad, so give the potatoes a little extra scrub love.Little tip when you cook off your bacon. Even though the time honored tradition of cooking bacon in a pan has been a great “go to” for ever; I found the best way with less mess is using your oven. You would want to line your bacon on a tray with either parchment or foil and bake it off in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20-25 mins. You will find the method is really a great way to avoid all those pesky bacon grease splashes everywhere. You will thank me later.All in all, you are going to love this this is a great spin on a regular picnic staple.
- 5 lbs Russet Potatoes
- 1 lb Thick Cut Bacon
- 3 Scallions Chopped (Approx. ½ C)
- 2 c Shredded Cheddar Cheese (yellow sharp is the best)
- 2 c Sour Cream
- 1½ c Real Mayonaise
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp Granulated Onion
- Clean potatoes well, wrap in foil and bake off as you would a baked potato (Approx 1 hour @ 325 degrees). You want the potatoes to be soft, but not mushy. Cool completely. If you can use your refrigerator to cool, as it will halut that after-bake process and keep them from getting too mushy.
- Cook the bacon. Let cool and dice it up.
- Place some bacon, scallions and cheese to the side if you would like to add at the end to top off your salad. This is optional, it is just a nicer presentation.
- Add sour cream, mayo and seasonings into a very large bowl. Mix thoroughly together. Add in bacon, scallions and cheese.
- Dice up your cooled potatoes, and add to the bowl as well. Mix everything together very well.
- If transferring to another bowl for serving, do that and add the bacon, scallions and cheese to the top. Cover and keep cool till ready to serve.